Monday, September 12, 2011

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly- Koh Phangan-Day 11

We went to the same mom and pop's shop to grab breakfast before our shuttle was scheduled to pick us up. 
Clear Glass Noodle with Shrimp

Spicy Crispy Pork with rice
The Seatran teminal was really nice.  There were employees there to help us with our bags and also inform us on the different islands and transfers.  The terminal was really clean.  I measure this by the cleanliness of their bathrooms.  There was a huge amount of backpackers anxious and pumped to head over to Koh Phangan for the Full Moon Party. 

After a short 45 minutes ride we to to Koh Phangan.  We negotiated a good "songathew" rate to our lodging, Coco Garden Bungalows right on the beach.  We had a smooth check in and a few minutes later we were unpacking our things in our room.  Our bungalow was really cute.  It had its own deck, cot, and most important, AC.
Beachside Bungalow
Since our hotel was a bit of a walk from the town, we decided to rent a motorbike.  I was a bit weary since the woman wanted to keep my passport as collateral.  She only gave us one helmet but I insisted on getting two helmets.  She said I didn't need one since I would be riding in that back.  I was adament about the helmet.  She finally found one for me, it wasn't in the best shape, but it worked.  The cost was pretty cheap, about $5.00 for 24 hours and about $1.33 for a liter of gas.

We took the bike into town and grabbed snacks from the many food stalls.  All the snacks were tasty!  We sampled fried chicken on sticks, spring rolls, steamed rolls, fried corn fritters and I got my fresh fruit shake to wash it all down!

We found a travel agent and booked our excursion to Ko Tao for tomorrow and our transfers back to the mainland for the day we leave Koh Phangan.

Since I was wearing a dress, getting on and off the bike was a bit tricky without pulling a "Lindsay Lohan" so we went back to our room and I changed into shorts.

We didn't really have any plans so we decided to ride the bike to the other beach areas of Haad Rin.  The ride was a nice breezy ride.  We reached a really steep hill right before Haad Riin and our bike didn't seem like it would make it. Well, it didn't, it stalled on the steep hill.  We flew into a concrete ditch.

It was really scary.  A few tourists from Spain was right behind us and saw everything happen.  They came to our rescue.  The woman kept telling me I was bleeding all over the place and that I was missing teeth.  I was so freaked out that I didnt have teeth.  I checked, and all my teeth were still there.  I think its because my face was bleeding around my mouth so she thought I was missing teeth.  Although I was pretty banged up, I didn't cry. That would have made things worse.

We didn't make it to Haad Rin and we headed back to our hotel, all shaken up.  To make matters worse, it started to pour and my wounds were stinging.

We got back to the hotel and the Mo returned the bike.  Luckily for us, it was raining and dark out, so she didnt notice the damages on the bike and I got my passport back.  (I didn't go with the Mo to the bike place as she wouldn't known that clearly we got into an accident)
I wanted to go to the hospital to make sure I was ok and to have my lesions cleaned properly.  The hotel sent us their driver and we went to the local government hospital.  It was definitely not up to western standards.  The nurse cleaned me up and the trip costs less than $20.00 for an ER visit.

We went back to the hotel and decided to make the best of it.  We went to the bar and had a few drinks to soothe the pain.  We haven't paid the bar tab yet, but I have a feeling its going to be a bit expensive considering I had two carafes of red wine and the Mo had four scotches on the rock.  We met some really cool people and the owners were super nice.  Kudos to Adrian and Lee for accommodating us.

Pouring my first carafe of wine

Our new Swiss friend, "Ro"
Getting Buzzed

Ro & Mo
Too much too drink (That's not blood on my leeve, that was wine)

Drunk Food, "Phad see you"
I'm very grateful that we weren't seriously hurt and we just walked away from the accident with cuts and bruises.